Monday 24 June 2013

It is not necessary

Since I am on my hair journey these are things I deem unnecessary or bandwagons I would not jump on.

1. Sulfate free shampoo - Personally,I think that sulfates are vital in my regimen because I use products with silicons and mineral oil. After a week or two of continuously moisturizing and sealing the hair needs to be cleansed. I see sulfate free shampoos as dish washing liquid without sulfate. Imagine that! I have been using my sulfate shampoo for almost 2 years now and I have been seeing growth and there was no breakage. I think that using a sulfate shampoo just requires you to put back the moisture that was lost during the shampooing step. On top of that I newly discovered pre-shampoo treatment  which offers some conditioning which prevents sulfates from having its way with my hair.

2.Co-washing-I never did it while I was relaxed and still reaped benefits. I did this when I big chopped only to pop my curls. After I grew out of that phase I discontinued. Washing and deep conditioning every 1-2 weeks is enough.

3.Stretching- No matter how much you write an article on ways to stretch I would still not be interested. I tried this once and lets say I loss more than I gained. They say it makes the hair thicker. Obviously it would feel that way in the roots area but I think no technique or product can give you what is not in your gene pool. I relax anyway from 6-8 weeks and my hair is just fine. The creators of relaxers knew what they were saying when they said touch up can be done from 6 weeks and beyond.

4. Tea/Coffee Rinse- At this point I am skeptical about it.I would rather resort to a protein treatment to combat shedding.

1 comment:

  1. Hey, what about protective styles? Do you think they are necessary? And if so which ones do you do? I am looking for quick easy styles to do since my hair is currently at neck length.

    ReplyDelete